Friday, December 14, 2012

A Light in the Window by Julie Lessman




ASIN: B0091JZXXK


A Light in the Window by Julie Lessman  is an Irish Christmas love story.  The cover is beautiful and the story sounded like just the thing I needed to relax during this busy holiday season.  

The premise of the story revolves around Marceline Murphy, a devout young woman of faith. She longs to be married and start a family of her own but she is waiting for "the right man to come along."  She has always had a secret passion for her best friends brother, Sam but she also finds herself secretly attracted to Patrick, his best friend.

So there it is- one woman and two men. Which one will she choose?

A Light in the Window is a story created around the old Irish tale of  "A light in the window" which was pretty interesting. It was well written and the characters were believable.  Unfortunately, this book didn't live up to my expectations. I didn't enjoy reading it.  

I judge how well I enjoy a book by how it moves me emotionally and this book did not move me at all. I found the plot to be too standard and predictable and the story didn't hold my interest. There were several other issues that I had with this book that I don't want to highlight because it would ruin the story for any of you that wish to read it.

It always pains me to write a review that is negative. I value each book I read and while I have not one  ounce of story writing ability in me (though I surely wish I did!), I do value the creation of a story and recognize the true gift of story writing.

I encourage each of you to make your own decisions about the book. Read it and see if you like it - don't base your opinion just on this review alone.  Multiple and differing opinions is what makes this world a great place to live in. :)  Can you just imagine how boring it would be if we were all the same?!

Many thanks to Kim at Nancy Berland Public Relations for the opportunity to review this book.

No comments: