Saturday, May 16, 2009

Another Spring Reading Thing Book Review...

A Mending at the Edge
by Jane Kirkpatrick
(Cherish and Change Historical Series #3)

A Mending at the Edge by Jane Kirkpatrick was the second book I read for the Spring Reading Challenge. When I started this book, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it but after reading the first chapter, I was hooked!

The story is based on the life of Emma Wagner Geisy and the Aurora Colony in Oregon during the 1850’s. The book follows Emma’s amazing life as she struggles to care for herself, her family and follow her own inner voice . In Emma’s time, this was not something women often did, especially in a communal setting!

Emma’s views and beliefs were often at odds with the community, especially that of the colony’s leader. It would have been easy for Emma to take the more “accepted” path but she didn't; she followed her inner calling. She succeeded in being true to herself, caring for her family and she also became a valuable asset to the community of Aurora Colony.

I really enjoyed this book and will be reading the others in this series. Ms. Kirkpatrick brought to vivid life the triumphs and challenges of Emma, as well as the other colony members. It was interesting to read about a piece of our own nation’s history and I hope someday to be able to visit the north west and stop by the Aurora Colony Museum.

4 comments:

Karla @ Ramblin' Roads said...

I read a couple of Jane Kirkpatrick's books recently, too: Aurora and A Flickering Light. I enjoyed them!

MyJourneyBack said...

Neat how you got into it. Drawing in so much to wish visit the area. Thanks for sharing.
Have a Blessed week.
Sherry

Sandra said...

I've never read any of her books, I think I'll look up at the library for them ;)

Alice Teh said...

I've not read anything by this author and it sounds good. Thanks for the review!