Monday, September 14, 2009

A really good scary book!

The Strain

by Guillermo Del Torro and Chuck Hogan




This isn't the normal type of book I read; I tend to stay away from the really scary stuff but my husband was reading it and kept telling me how riveted he was with the story. I started reading it and he was right, I couldn't put the book down. It is a really, really good chilling novel! The Strain is book 1 of 3 in this series and I can't wait till the others come out!. Here's the book description from the jacket:
They have always been here. Vampires. In secret and in darkness. Waiting. Now their time has come. In one week, Manhattan will be gone. In one month, the country.

In two months--the world.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it
suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out.
All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost
for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of
their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological
threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood
run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the
Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that
has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is
joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to
stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and
son--before it is too late.

To read Chapter 1 of the book, click here!

5 comments:

Mari said...

I'm not big on scary books but I think I would like this one too. I want to wait till all the books come out though. I hate having to wait for months to see what happens next!

YayaOrchid said...

I avoid scary books and movies too. But after reading that one chapter, I now feel I must read the whole book! I'll have to go find it. Thanks for the heads up!

Cherdecor said...

I watch tv from behind the chair! =) If I read this, I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks! Yeah, that is right!

But you go ahead and enjoy it.

Carmen said...

i love his movies!

Jennifer OWM said...

Thanks for the recommendation! "Scary" is my favorite!