Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay




Sarah's Key

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0312370849




Here's the publisher's book review:

Paris, July 1942: Ten year old Sarah is brutally arrested with her family in the Vel' d'Hiv' round up, the most notorious act of French collaboration with the Nazis. But Sarah has locked her brother in their favorite hiding place and kept the key, thinking she will return soon.

Paris, May 2002: On Vel'd'Hiv's sixtieth anniversary, American journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write about this black day in France's past. In the course of her investigation, Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that connects her to Sarah.

My review: I finished this novel and just sat there stunned feeling shock, dismay, anger, and deep, deep sadness. Sarah's Key moved me and shook my complacent world. I am so very glad that I read this book though it's story will haunt me for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Alice Teh said...

I have to read this. I want to know what happened.

squawmama said...

Oh I am not sure I can read this book... I get very emotional and if it bothered you I am sure I would be sadden too... Thanks for the review

(((HUGS)))
Donna