Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Noticer by Andy Andrews

Thanks so much to Thomas Nelson for sending me this book to review!



The Noticer by Andy Andrews centers around the concept that we each have a choice of how to view our lives and it encourages us to choose our perspective wisely. Here's the publisher's description of the book:

A new story of common wisdom from the bestselling author of The Traveler’s
Gift. Orange Beach, Alabama is a simple town filled with simple people. But
like all humans on the planet, the good folks of Orange Beach have their share
of problems – marriages teetering on the brink of divorce, young adults giving
up on life, business people on the verge of bankruptcy, as well as the many
other obstacles that life seems to dish out to the masses.

Fortunately, when things look the darkest – a mysterious man named Jones has a miraculous way of showing up. An elderly man with white hair, of indiscriminate age and race, wearing blue jeans, a white T-shirt and leather flip flops carrying a battered old suitcase, Jones is a unique soul. Communicating what he calls “a little
perspective,” Jones explains that he has been given a gift of noticing things
that others miss. “Your time on this earth is a gift to be used wisely,” he
says. “Don’t squander your words or your thoughts. Consider even the simplest
action you take, for your lives matter beyond measure…and they matter forever.”
Jones speaks to that part in everyone that is yearning to understand why
things happen and what we can do about it.

Like The Traveler’s Gift, The Noticer is a unique narrative is a blend of fiction, allegory, and inspiration. Gifted storyteller Andy Andrews helps us see how becoming a “noticer” just might change a person’s life forever.


I found this book to be a nice story but it was rather hard for me to get into this book and finish it. The story is full of good, common ideals and thoughts but it wasn't a huge inspiration or motivation to me. It didn't leave me pondering on it's concepts and ideals or wishing to explore aspects of my own life. I guess this book it just not my cup of tea.
Don't let my review prevent you from exploring this book yourself. Maybe it will be your cup of tea!

4 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

OOh, this sounds like a good read! I'll have to look it up and find it. thanks for the heads up!

Alice Teh said...

Hi Renee, I've read good comments about this post, but I'm sorry it didn't do much for you.

Karla @ Ramblin' Roads said...

I also reviewed this book, and I share your opinion. I've heard of others who just loved it, though.

Gae said...

I have been interested to read your book reviews. So interesting and informative. Thank you for sharing these.
I was wondering if you can tell me how you get all the blogs you are interested in into a picture on the side bar that links to another page.
God Bless