Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots by Carolly Erickson


I was so excited when I found out this was waiting for me at the library! I had my hubby pick it up on his way home from work. I eagerly glanced over at the book through dinner. I made sure the boys and hubby were settled for the night and then went off to my reading chair with a wonderful cup of tea and this book. 

Oh, the anticipation!

I dove into reading it and was immediately lost in the 16th century of Queens and Kings, royalty, intrigue and politics. I didn't resurface till later - after several cups of tea (mmm...I'm not sure how many really) and only after I had finished the very. last. page. Yes, I was tired but I felt exhilarated with the warm glow of having read a really good book.


I just LOVED this book. It is written from the viewpoint of Queen Mary, herself and the first page just captures your senses and attention. It doesn't let you go till the end. In between, I laughed and cried along with Mary as she told her tale. Ms. Erickson has outdone herself yet again. This is a superb book!


Click here to read a synopsis of the book.

6 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

I'm going to have to remember this one. Sounds like it's a good read. Thanks for the heads up. I too love English/Welsh culture. Love the front page illustration!

Alice Teh said...

I'm not a big fan of historical fiction, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Sandra said...

I LOVE historical fiction, I'm definitely going to write the name of this one down.

Christina said...

Oh wow this one sounds good! I better check out my library.

Sandra said...

We can order books online from our library, and I just ordered this one. Thankfully they had it!

Joyful Days said...

That looks fabulous!!Will be adding it to the burgeoning list!