Sunday, February 21, 2010

Value Fiction Blog Tour ~ Two Great Books!

I had a chance last week to spend some time by myself (something that is almost unheard of in my house). I had a blast even though I was a tad bit overwhelmed at how quiet the house can be when the boys and my hubby aren't around. Needless to say, it didn't take me long to get over the quiet - lol! I bundled myself up in my favorite blanket and read these wonderful books while munching on popcorn.




Secrets: A Novel

by

Robin Jones Gunn

ISBN-10: 1601422733
ISBN-13: 978-1601422736

Book Summary from the publisher:

Jessica ran from her past...but can she hide from love?Jessica Morgan wants desperately to forget the past and begin a new life. She chooses a small, peaceful town tucked away in Oregon’s Willamette Valley as the place to start over—Glenbrooke. Once there, Jessica conceals her identity from the intriguing personalities she meets—including the compassionate paramedic who desires to protect her and the jealous woman who wants nothing more than to destroy her. Will Jessica’s deceit ruin all hope for the future? Or will she find a deeper peace that allows her to stop hiding the truth from those who love her most of all? This heartwarming bestseller, book one in the Glenbrooke series, introduces the fascinating people of Glenbrooke in a compelling tale of romance and spiritual truth.

My thoughts: I enjoyed reading this book; it was entertaining and interesting. I happen to have a habit of finding new (to me) book series either at their middle or end but this time, I read book one in the Glenbrooke series! I'm still in shock that I started a book series at the beginning - lol.



Deep Harbor

by

Lisa T. Bergren

ISBN-10: 0307458741
ISBN-13: 978-0307458742

Book Summary from the publisher:

The melodramatic lives of three very different immigrant sisters
living in the West in the 1880s are documented by Bergren (The Captain's Bride,
WaterBrook, 1998) in this historical romance. Action alternates among the women
as they struggle not only to exist but to grow closer to God as well. Tora
Anders has given up her child to pursue wealth and power as a roadhouse manager
for the handsome Trent Storm. Elsa is enjoying an adventurous marriage to a sea
captain when an encounter with a pirate threatens to destroy her happiness, and
Kaatji raises Tora's daughter along with her own. Since it can be difficult to
keep track of the wide range of characters and events, this is best read in
series order. Libraries with the first may want to continue with this one.

My thoughts: Deep Harbor is the second book in Lisa Bergren's Norther Lights series. I absolutely enjoyed this book! It is centered in the North West and the story is a wonderful blend of romance and historical fiction. This book is a great story on it's own but I agree with the publisher's summary...it would have been easier to understand the characters and the story line if I had read the series in order. I've added both The Captains Bride (book 1) and Midnight Sun (book 3) to my TBR pile and I can't wait to read them!

Click here to find out more about these books and/or purchase them.

Many thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah for providing me with this book to review.

3 comments:

Annette W. said...

Thanks for visiting today and entering the giveaway!

The first Christian fiction I ever read was the Glennbrooke series...I liked the first one best, I think because the romance wasn't too heavy, but love RJG!

Christina said...

These are immediately going on my list. I am making a list for next Christmas so I am thanking you for all the books you are reviewing. I love books and I find the one's you read are all one's I would like.

Glad to hear you had a relaxing day reading. Sounds cozy.

Sherry said...

Love reading! I got Secrets and a different book.