Monday, January 10, 2011

Finding the Light of Jesus Book Review


Publisher: CrossLink Publishing

ISBN-13: 9780982621523


ISBN: 0982621523

From the publisher:
Finding the Light of Jesus provides reflections and revelations which allow us to step back from our problems, reflect on what is most important in the present moment, and rely on spiritual healing - the Light - to experience inner peace and calm in the midst of trouble.

Finding the Light of Jesus by Cindy Tuttle calls for us to take a "serious look at who we really our; explore our inner self". The author clearly states that this will not always be an easy task but through self contemplation as well as the light of God, you can experience peace an a greater sense of purpose, faith and love.

Each chapter deals with a specific topic. The author starts each session (chapter) with a prayer and then discusses her impressions/thoughts on the subject at hand. She provides an activity that guides you to self exploration and highly recommends journaling through this process. The chapter ends with a prayer.

My Review:

This book definitely falls under the subject of "personal growth" and "self help". The lessons come from the author's point of view, or rather what she believes God has led her to learn and experience. There are prayers at the beginning and end of each chapter but there is very few biblical quotes referenced in this book.

I'm not sure if this book is "new age" or not as I am not up to speed on what is today's new age stuff. I will say though that the process of this book, while referencing the Light of God seemed more psycho-analytical than faith based. It also seemed more "self" based than God based. There are very few quotations or Bible versus quoted in this book.

I prefer a book based more strongly on faith and heavily laced (a good thing!) in biblical references.

Comments from the author:

I was surprised and touched that the author stopped by and read my review of her book. She sent me this message on my email. I thought I'd share it with you here.

Dear Renee,

Thank you so much for reviewing my book. I had to smile when I heard the words new age. I don't even know exactly what that is. Yes, this is a salf reflective book but I take my Christian faith very seriously and try to follow Jesus with all my heart and soul. My vision was to help others in their faith as one companion to another. I agree I should have used more scripture which I do in my other manuscripts.
I do appreciate you taking the time to read and review it. I am honored to be asked to read the Bible about two times a week at our church for our services. I have a profound respect for the Bible and joy for the hope and wisdom it brings.Tried to leave a comment but wouldn't publish it.

With Love,
Cindy Tuttle
www.cindytuttletheauthor.com
Author of Finding the Light of Jesus

Many thanks to Cross Link Publishing and Hamby Media for the opportunity to review this book.

1 comment:

Cherdecor said...

I don't know, Renee, this book sounds really New Age to me. I had my husband read this. He said,"It's New Age." That is what I thought but wanted his opinion.
The term "self exploration" throws up red flags to me.