Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Daughter's Walk by Jane Kirkpatrick


ISBN: 9781400074297
Categories: Fiction - Historical








7,000 miles on foot, two women alone with little to no protection, earning food and money along the way to support themselves. Agreeing to this trip sounds too improbable to even contemplate but Helga Estby and her daughter Clara didn't have much choice.




Out of desperation and a need to do all they could to help save their family farm, Mrs. Estby and her daughter agreed to walk this journey for 10,000 dollars. The journey did not turn out the way they hoped but what was even more interesting was the life they came back to!











Ms. Kirkpatrick brought the past to life in a story rich in history, relationships and emotion. From today's perspective, life for women back in the 1800's was quite a bit of a shock!




Through out the story the exploration of Mrs. Etsby's and Clara's relationship was riveting but what I found even more compelling was how they were received and the twists and turns of their lives once they returned home; most especially Clara's own "walk".




I won't say more about that here as I don't want to spoil the book for any of you but I really enjoyed this story and I highly recommend it!




Many thanks to Waterbrook Multnomah for providing me with this book in exchange for a review. My review is an honest representation of how I felt about this book.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I'd love this one. It sounds similar to the story of "Ruth."

Cherdecor said...

This sounds like a really good book and one that a lot of people could relate.