Sunday, June 5, 2011

Survivors ~ A BBC Series


I've been watching a new to me TV series from BBC called Survivors. It's one of the BEST tv series I've watched in a long, long time! It is based off the book Survivors by Terry Nation and a prior Survivors BBC Series from the 1970's.


Here's a bit about the show from the BBC webpage ~




Set in the present day, Survivors focuses on the world in the aftermath of a virulent disease that scoured the planet, wiping out 99% of the human race. Only a lonely few are left to start over in a devastated world where everything that was once safe and familiar is now strange and dangerous.




A bewildered but resilient group of survivors is led by Abby Grant, a woman whose strength comes from a burning need to find out if her young son is still alive. Other members of the group include Greg (a good man who hides the pain of his past), Anya (a doctor who has seen too many people die) and Al, a former playboy who becomes surrogate father to streetwise urchin Najid.




Then there is Tom, outwardly handsome and charming, but actually a dangerous and ruthless man who, unbeknown to the others, was a high-security prisoner before the virus hit. This brave new world brings an opportunity for new beginnings, but also terrible dangers – not just the daily struggle for food and water, but also a deadly threat from other survivors.





I've watched the complete series (2 seasons total with 6 episodes each season) and I was absolutely glued to the TV. The actors are superb and the plot is intense, emotional and fast paced. As I got further into the series it just kept getting better and better. I plan to read the book and watch the original Survivor series from the 1970's this summer. I can't wait!


The series is available on dvd at A*mazon or you can also watch it on dvd or on instant watch through Net*flix.


Grab your favorite drink, munchies and enjoy!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Thanks. I am watching Camelot now and that is pretty good, and I used to like Jericho, seems to be along the similar lines, except it was the aftermath of nuclear disaster, which I really enjoyed but they canned it after 2 seasons, so now I am definitely going to get this and watch it. It is so right up my alley. Especially that it is so well done. Quality tv isn't that easy to come by.