Monday, August 1, 2011

Hope for Your Heart: Finding Strength in Life's Storms




ISBN-10: 1433503972

ISBN-13: 978-1433503979



I was a bit dubious about Hope for Your Heart by June Hunt when I received it. I've read so many self help books that just didn't live up to their promises that I approached this one cautiously. Hope can mean so many things to so many people; can one truly define it, quantify it and provide a  course of action that can truly work? 
 
I am happy to write that this book is one of the most inspirational books I have read! I have been dealing with some major issues in my life for the past few months and this book is a phenomenal resource.    My storms are still going on strong but I am finding comfort in God's promises and the knowledge that my hope is anchored in Christ.  
 
Ms. Hunt describes hope as one of the prominent themes of the Bible. She likens hope to an "anchor"  and using that metaphor, she brings hope into a tangible concept that I could relate to. She describes hope as God's gift and PROMISE to us and further backs up her views and advice with strong Biblical references.
 
The fundamental principle for her book are the following Bible verses: Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"  and Hebrews 6:19 - "We have this hope as anchor for the soul, firm and secure." 

Based  on the above verses, Ms. Hunt goes on to explain that we each have a "guaranteed hope that is planned by God, prosperous for your life and promised for your future."
 
She goes on to write that "Our true anchor, Christ, guarantees us hope in any situation because He is in control ... not circumstances, not people."  Wow - that statement moved me more than words can describe.
 
All of us at some time in our lives are overwhelmed with struggles and battered by life's storms. This book will help and it also is one of the best resources for understanding hope that I've ever read! 

If you are interested in more information about this book, click here !
 
Many thanks to June Hunt, Crossway  and Library Thing for the opportunity to review this book.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have not heard of this lady before, but she really has a great
bio! I love everything I can read on "self helps," so this author with her background really interests me.

We are asking the Lord every day to lead us to a ministry. So far, nothing has come up. I liked the phrase about Christ being in control and not the circumstances or the people.

I have been praying for you and the storms you are going through. I know that when we get to the other side of these storms, our faith will be stronger and our love for the Lord will be greater.

Big hugs,
Cheryl

Renee said...

Cheryl - thank you so much for stopping by! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too. God Bless!

Christina said...

OH MY this sounds so good. With my husband deployed and many other things going on in life, like you I can use a book like this. I am reading Faith Deployed Again as a devotional, but this book would be a great addition to have for some of the other things going on ....I hope things turn around for you and i will keep you in my prayers. It always seems to me that in life their is one trial after another. Sometimes I want to punch Satan in the face. I know, juvenile, but what can I do.

Christina said...

Just sent a sample to my Kindle of this book. Thanks.