Friday, September 30, 2011

From the Garden to the City: The Redeeming and Corrupting Power of Technology by John Dyer


ISBN-10: 0825426685



ISBN-13: 978-0825426681


From the Garden to the City by John Dyer  explores the issue of technology and how it affects us in our daily lives. It examines technology through Biblical scripture dealing with the issues of how it impacts our lives,  our faith and God's plan for each of us.

I chose to read this book because it presented such a unique perspective - technology viewed through the scripture.  From the Garden to the City is  not a book about bashing technology. It clearly promotes that technology is neither good or bad; it's how we choose to use it that can enhance our lives or allow it to control us. It's our choice. 

I was afraid that I'd find this book to be dry but it wasn't. It was a rather fascinating read! It's well grounded in scripture and oh boy, it was an eye opener for me!  At times I found it somewhat painful to read because it hit too close to home. It is amazing to realize how easy it is to turn a blind eye to things that we really need to pay attention to.    


I leave you with this quote from the book ~
We must continually attempt to view technology through the lens of the story of God and his people, with the resurrected Christ at the beginning, the middle, and the end of that story.  It is His life, work, and promises that should inform our value system, shape the way we see the world and and transform the way we live in it.
Many thanks to Kregel Publishers for the opportunity to review this book. My thoughts and feelings are my own and an honest reflection of how I feel about this book.

2 comments:

John Dyer said...

Thanks so much for taking time to review my book. One of the points I hope I made clear was that we have to be concerned not just with *how we use technology*. Regardless of whether we use it for good or bad ends, it still affects us. Thanks again for reading it and offering your thoughts!

Christina said...

I think this sounds like a well needed book for our times. I am going over to Amazon to check it out and add it to my list.