Friday, February 24, 2012

The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier




ISBN-10: 1414337744

ISBN-13: 978-1414337746

 
The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier is a pretty riveting story full of history, archeology, theology, mystery and suspense. It took me a bit to really get into the book but once I did, I was hooked.  Christian Fiction has certainly come a long way!
 
Jonathon and Shannon Weber are the main characters. Jonathon is a history professor for Harvard and his wife is an archaeologist. The opening finds Shannon at a dig  where she makes an amazing find! It leads them on a search across the world to find a lost manuscript commissioned by Constantine the Great. A manuscript that could change the way the world views Biblical scripture! 
 
One of the most interesting factors of The Constantine Codex was the "debate" that Jonathon was invited to participate in. It was a debate of Christianity versus Muslim faith  and while I found that chapter a bit dry to read, it was really interesting and informative. I think I found it a bit dry because I just wanted to read more about the chase for the lost manuscript! 
 
The only thing that I found slightly annoying about the book was the way the author portrayed the relationship between Jonathon and Shannon Weber - the two main characters. The relationship was a bit surreal and cerebral; somewhat canned. Setting that aside though, I found this to be an engaging and captivating book. I look forward to reading other books by this author!

1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

My oldest has read Dr. Maier's Pontius Pilate and Flames of Rome. I also read Flames. We were very impressed with his work. I'm not sure "like" is an appropriate word for these books. I would caution that both are very intense and can be upsetting. But very gripping.

I will be looking for this!

Thanks for the reveiw.