Friday, March 2, 2012

Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon


ISBN-10: 1599559064
ISBN-13: 978-1599559063

Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon is book with a new twist on a beloved fairy tale, Cinderella.  Ms. Lemon did an  admirable job of incorporating the original fairy tale into a beautifully written though rather dark story of her own creation. 

The story is full of knights, castles, good versus bad ~ all the necessary ingredients for a fairy tale.  Ms. Lemon captured my interest with the plot. She engaged my attention, enthralled my imagination and I really should have loved this book.

I tried to convince myself I did.

I reviewed all the positive points of this story but ... in the end ...

I just didn't enjoy this book.

I found the story to be too dark, too sad. I walked away feeling slightly angry that such a beautiful fairy tale from my youth could be twisted into a bleak, dark and rather unsettling story.

It certainly evoked strong emotions from me but not ones I like to feel when walking away from a book I've just read. 

The best I can write for this review is that this book will haunt stay with me for awhile till I can get past my reaction to it.

1 comment:

Joyful Days said...

We did a loooooong unit on Cinderella and the variations this tale has had. It was interesting to see how almost every culture has a "Cinderella" tale of sorts.

Seems like everything must be dark and twisted these days. Although, Grimm Bros & HC Andersen did tell some upsetting stories.

Thanks for the review!