Friday, January 25, 2013

The Tainted Coin by Mel Starr




  • ISBN-10: 0857212508
  • ISBN-13: 978-0857212504


The Tainted Coin by Mel Starr is the fifth book in the series featuring Hugh de Singleton, surgeon. It's a  historical fiction novel full of mystery and adventure. 

Here's a bit about the book from the publisher:

It is the autumn of 1367. Master Hugh is enjoying the peaceful life of Bampton when a badly beaten man is found under the porch of St. Andrew's Chapel. The dying man is a chapman-—a traveling merchant. Before he is buried in the chapel grounds, an ancient, corroded coin is found in the man's mouth.

The series is getting wonderful comments through out the blog world but for me, I have to admit I just couldn't get into the story. I found it to be well written but somewhat dry.  

I love historical fiction and non-fiction but I don't read much mystery and adventure.  While stepping out of one's comfort zone every once in  awhile is good, this book (for me) wasn't. It just was not my cup of tea. 

The kindle version is on sale right now but it is also available in paperback. If you enjoy reading  historical fiction and mystery/adventure, this might be the right book for you!   

Many thanks to Kregel Publications for the opportunity to review this book. 

1 comment:

Christina said...

This sounds like a good series. I like all kinds of books so I will be checking it out at Amazon. Thanks again.