Thursday, February 28, 2013

Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography by William Anderson

Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading Challenge




This post wraps up the month long Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading challenge. Many thanks to Barbara @ Stray Thoughts for hosting this challenge!



Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography by William Anderson was my favorite book that I read this month during the LIW challenge.  This biography covered Laura’s life from her pioneering days to her golden years.  It was written for readers of any age and a pleasure to read! 

I most enjoyed reading about was Laura’s life after she and Almanzo and Rose settled in Mansfield Missouri at their Rocky Ridge Farm.  It was so interesting to follow their work and  development of their Rocky Ridge Farm, Laura’s progression from writing magazine/newspaper articles to her books, as well as her strong support to helping  the farming wife. 

Not having read much other than  the Little House on the Prairie books, I was surprised to read that Laura didn’t really start her writing career till she was in her sixties.  Laura credited her own success in writing to help and encouragement from Rose, her daughter who also was a well known writer. 

After focusing this month on reading about pioneering and our country’s westward expansion, I sit in awe of those who had the courage, strength and tenacity to walk that path.  We owe a great debt to those who forged west in search of  new lands, open spaces and a new way of life.

At a time when our faith in our country and government is being tested along with our current challenging economic times, it has been renewing for me to contemplate what our ancestors accomplished, the challenges they faced and overcame and the life they created for themselves. 

I walk away from this reading challenge with hope, determination and encouragement. I am not sure I would have made a good pioneer but I am grateful for those who took up the challenge and forged a new way of life. They did not given in to defeat but kept moving on, trying new ways and most of all, never giving up on their dreams.  

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I've heard good things about this biography - I'll have to keep it in mind for next time. I am in awe of the Ingalls and Wilders and their character and all they accomplished.I am so glad you joined in the challenge!

Annette {This Simple Home} said...

I haven't read the biography...though feel like I know so much from some of my other readings!