Tuesday, February 26, 2013

On The Way Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading Challenge


I've been having a great month reading new (to me) books by Laura Ingalls Wilder!  I'm participating in the Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading Challenge hosted by Barbara @ Stray Thoughts

I just finished On The Way Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder. 



ISBN-10: 0060264896

ISBN-13: 978-0060264895

The book is a compilation of the diary entries that Laura wrote while traveling with her husband, Almanzo and her daughter Rose from South Dakota to Mansfield Missouri in 1984. The journal was found after Laura's passing and published as a book of the family's travels. Comments and background setting was contributed by Rose, Laura's daughter.

I really enjoyed this book and it was so interesting to read of their adventure and follow it step by step till they found their home (land) in Mansfield, Missouri.  What I found most interesting was the map that detailed their 650 mile journey. It was so interesting to track their progress through each town, see pictures of that town and read Laura's journal.    

Reading about Laura and her family's triumphs and challenges as well as day to day living brought the pioneer movement to life for  me.  The pioneers from our past are an amazing and courageous group of people. I'm not sure I would have the gumption or the ability to do what they did!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and gaining a  glimpse into the history of the pioneer movement and the courageous people who made it happen! 

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

I haven't read this one yet. I'd enjoy reading Laura's notes as well as Rose's comments.