Thursday, January 23, 2014

Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge


I have a confession to make …


It’s kind of embarrassing really…


I read the wrong book for the Lucy Maud Montgomery reading challenge!



Being fairly new to e-books, I was quite happy when I  thought  I was getting to be “e-book” savvy at my age. Well, I’ve come to find out that I am not that savvy after all.  

I downloaded an e-book set of the Anne of Green Gable series. After declaring  on Carrie’s blog that I was going to read Anne of Avonlea (book 2),  I promptly somehow skipped over that book and went straight into reading Anne of the Island (book 3). Due to the set up of this book bundle in my e-book,  I didn’t even realize my mistake till the end of the book though I did think it was rather odd when the book made references to things that I hadn’t read in Anne of Green Gables

When I figured out what I had done, I had a really good laugh! :)






Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery was a pleasure to read! It took me a bit to get into the story but by the end of this book, the story and it’s heroine won my heart. 

The beautiful descriptions of the scenery, the charming banter of Anne and her friends, the joy and challenges both of growing up as well as the angst of young love unfolding  made reading this story  a rare breath of fresh air. I so wanted to just pick up and go to Prince Edward Island and see the gorgeous nature that is described in this book. (Still do in fact!)

One of my favorite passages of this book was when Anne visited the home of her parents  where she was born. I cried buckets of tears over imagining how much it meant to Anne to have some link to her parents to treasure and love.

While I can’t write that Anne of the Island is a story  that will set  today’s reading world on edge, it is a book and series that is worthy of reading more than just once in a life time!

There is something to be said about the beauty of simpler times and the richness of ordinary days. This may sound corny but it is a gift to enjoy reading  well written, endearing and heartwarming stories. I am so glad L. M. Montgomery left such a beautiful  legacy for all of us to enjoy. 

For now, I’m off to read Anne of Avonlea to catch up on all that I missed!   


Happy Reading!

No comments: