Friday, February 21, 2014

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder


A big thank you to Barbara for hosting this!

I'm a bit late joining in  on the party but I've finished re-visiting an old friend ~ 



  • ISBN-10: 0060264306
  • ISBN-13: 978-0060264307


For this year's challenge I thought I would start reading my way through the LHP series again - setting the goal of one book per month. I am looking forward to re-visiting the rest of the series!

The LHP series edition that I really enjoy reading the most is the one with Garth Williams as the illustrator. I grew up with his illustrations for so many of the children's books I read in my earlier years and he was such a gifted illustrator. 

As I read Little House in the Big Woods, I enjoyed reading about Laura and her family all over again. This time I found myself reading the book from a different perspective; focusing on Laura's parents and all they had to do each day to ensure their family's survival.  Everything had a specific use and nothing went to waste. Their lives were full, meaningful and while hard, filled with joy and faith.

I came away from reading the book wondering about life back then and the life we have now. I am grateful for our easier lives; I don't think I would enjoy it much living without my washer and dryer, stove and all the modern conveniences of today. 

I was reminded of how the children were taught the true value of work and from an early age were expected to participate in family chores (age appropriate of course). It was a high standard that the children and adults of that time were expected to live up to. 

Standards that really matter ~ faith, honesty, sharing, respect, experiencing the benefits of working towards goals and achieving them.  We may not be able to go back to that simpler life and time but we can continue to bring those values and instill them in our lives and families today. 

I'm currently reading West from Home  and am really enjoying it. I'll write a review of this book soon. Wishing you all Happy  Reading!

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

I'm amazed at how much work everyday life was then. I like Garth's illustrations, too.

Thanks so much for joining in the challenge!