Friday, February 28, 2014

West From Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder





I can't believe it's time to wrap up the LIW Reading Challenge so soon.  Time just flies right on by! :)  Many thanks to Barbara for hosting this yearly meme!




  • ISBN-10: 0064400816
  • ISBN-13: 978-0064400817


West From Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder is the final book I've read for the LIW Reading challenge.  It was a very nice way to end this month of reading. 

The story revolves around Laura's trip to visit her daughter Rose in San Francisco, California (Bay area) and is compiled of the letters she wrote to Manly (Laura's husband) describing her travels and experiences while visiting Rose and her son in law.

With Laura's descriptions of her travels, sight seeing with Rose and her husband as well as all she she experienced and saw ~ she brought her experiences to life!

Prior to reading this book, I had not read much about the 1915 Pan Pacific International Exposition. I was absolutely astounded to read about all the shows/exhibits as well as life around San Francisco and the Bay area in that era.  The exhibits nightly light shows alone must have been breathtaking. What a wonderful lifetime experience! 

I found it very interesting how the **new** commercial canning of produce was demonstrated as well as Carnation's process of producing Evaporated Milk.  The international booths/exhibits sounded amazing - the sites, sounds smells and tastes. Laura was most definitely captivated by it all. 

I enjoyed the pictures included in the book. It was amazing to see 1915 San Francisco and compare it to the city it is today. It's been a long while since I lived in the Bay area but oh, I became so homesick reading this book. It really is a wonderful place to visit and live - back in 1915 and today!

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I enjoyed this book, too. Laura must've had an insatiable curiosity about how things were done or how things worked.

Thanks so much for participating in the LIW challenge!

Joyful Days said...

I love books that make me appreciate where our everyday, commonplace technology. Who really thinks much about the technology of canning? And, yet it revolutionized how we could eat!!! It is awesome.

Sadly, I've not read much of LIW. I have some of her books...Renewed resolve to add that to the pile!

:)