Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Siren by Kiera Cass

 

I woke up this morning with this book floating around in my mind. It came out of the blue and was a bit surprising as it has been over a year since I read The Siren by Kiera Cass.  

Over morning coffee, I pondered this hauntingly beautiful story and again realized how very much I enjoyed reading it. I perused my blog and was surprised to realize I had never posted a review on this book. With coffee and laptop in hand, I quickly determined to rectify this oversight ... 




"How was I to know that out there, in the world I had once truly lived in, something as simple as an afternoon greeting could cause unimaginable devastation?"  (opening excerpt from The Siren by Kiera Cass)

And so begins the story of Kahlen, a young woman recruited near death by Ocean to serve, along with her siren sisters until she has completed her years of duty in exchange for a second chance at life. 

Kahlen's existence is a lonely one. She lives among humans but can only have the barest interactions with them for if a human was to hear her true voice, it would cause death. She and her sisters travel and explore the world wanting for nothing until they are called by Ocean to help her feed; their duty being to sing/lure humans to a watery grave.  

While Ocean doesn't call them often, Kahlen dreads her duty and feels the loss of human life deeply. She longs to have a life full of love, companionship and she spends her time counting the years until she can be free. 

Then comes the fateful day when she meets Akinli and her world is turned upside down! 

(source: picture sent to me by a blogging friend)

Update August 2015: The Siren is available on paperback but a new release of both hardcover and kindle version is scheduled to be released January 26, 2016.

No comments: