Thursday, July 30, 2015

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine



  • ISBN-10: 045147239X
  • ISBN-13: 978-0451472397


From Amazon

Ruthless and supremely powerful, the Great Library is now a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.

Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family, who are involved in the thriving black market. Jess has been sent to be his family’s spy, but his loyalties are tested in the final months of his training to enter the Library’s service.

When he inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn.…





I really, really enjoyed reading Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine. I give it five stars and it now has a place in the top 5  of my favorite books for 2015.     


I found the premise of Ink and Bone to be uniquely creative and intriguing. The books was very well written, the characters realistic and the dialogue was great.   

Just imagine a world where the Great Library of Alexandria was never destroyed and grew to be the leading world power. The Great Library portrays themselves as a benevolent monarch while behind the scenes they condone and perform sinister acts "for the good of the library". They value books and knowledge above human life. It's such a great basis for a story! 

Personal ownership of books is against the law? 

In this book it is!  I have to say that stunned me a bit. I love my local library and use them frequently; I could not afford to fill my passion for books without it!   

But still  ... what would I do without my personal stash of books? I would be devastated if I couldn't have books (physical books) around me and scattered throughout my home! I enjoy my e- reader but my first love is reading real, physical books and I enjoy having a personal TBR pile that I can go to at any time of the day.

I came away from this book thinking about how some of the underlying concepts of Jess Brightwell's society can be "mirrored" (sorry - no pun intended!)  with some of our technology and societal issues. 

Needless to say this book kept me on the edge of my seat while reading it. It has mystery, action, fantasy and history all rolled into one great read! 

1 comment:

Grace Fonseca said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. Rachel Caine is a writer who happens to write some great books. Personal ownership feels so good. Great review.

Grace @ Books of Love
http://gracebooksoflove.com