Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Underground River by Martha Conway




  • ISBN-10: 1501160206
  • ISBN-13: 978-1501160202
  • Publisher: Touchstone
  •  
Release Date~ June 20, 2017

Synopsis

Set aboard a nineteenth century riverboat theater, this is the moving, page-turning story of a charmingly frank and naive seamstress who is blackmailed into saving runaways on the Underground Railroad, jeopardizing her freedom, her livelihood, and a new love.

It’s 1838, and May Bedloe works as a seamstress for her cousin, the famous actress Comfort Vertue—until their steamboat sinks on the Ohio River. Though they both survive, both must find new employment. Comfort is hired to give lectures by noted abolitionist, Flora Howard, and May finds work on a small flatboat, Hugo and Helena’s Floating Theatre, as it cruises the border between the northern states and the southern slave-holding states.




The Underground River by Martha Conway has received great reviews across the blogging world and the Internet. Mine will not be one of those, unfortunately. 

I love reading historical fiction but this time, not so much. I found The Underground River too dry and I had  a very hard time getting into the story and reading it. So much so that I couldn't finish this book. 

It's rare but when I have to post a review such as this one, I ask that readers of this blog put aside my review. This is a well loved author who is known for great books.  Check out The Underground River for yourself, make your own opinions!  


2 Stars

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Ms. Conway, Touchstone Publishing, and Netgalley and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. 

No comments: