Thursday, September 7, 2017

Right Where You Left Me by Calla Devlin

I absolutely loved reading Ms. Devlin's Tell Me Something Real  so I was super excited to here about this book's release ...  



  • ISBN-10: 1481486993
  • ISBN-13: 978-1481486996
  • Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (September 5, 2017)


About This Book
{From the Publisher}


After Charlotte’s father is kidnapped, she and her mother must overcome their differences and find a way to rescue him in this eloquent, moving portrayal of family from the author of William C. Morris Award finalist Tell Me Something Real.

In search of the perfect story to put a human face on a tragedy for his newspaper, my dad will fly into the eye of the storm. And now he’s heading to Ukraine, straight into the aftermath of a deadly earthquake. I don’t want him to leave. I don’t want to spend the week alone in a silent house with my mother, whose classically Russian reserve has built a wall between us that neither of us knows how to tear down. But I don’t tell him this. I don’t say stay.

I think I’m holding it together okay—until the FBI comes knocking on our door. Now it’s all I can do to fight off the horrifying images in my head. The quake has left so many orphans and widows, but Mom and I refuse to be counted among them. Whatever it takes to get Dad back, I’ll do it. Even if it means breaking a promise…or the law.





Ms. Devlin is a master at writing novels with intricate and challenging family dynamics, overlapping layers of intrigue and suspense, gut wrenching twists and turns that pull the reader in and engage them right up till the very end of the story. 

Right Where You Left Me  starts out so lovingly that you know that something just has to collapse and it soon does.  The trauma of this family crisis becomes more intense as the story progresses.  In addition, the author's portrayal of Charlotte and her Mother's relationship as well as their Russian roots really enhances this hauntingly beautiful story. 

I loved reading every page of this book! The intricacies of the plot, the cast of well developed characters and the experience of a budding young love amidst  a tragic family event just grabbed my heart and wouldn't let go.   


4.5 Stars


I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Ms. Devlin, Atheneum Books and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this book. 

2 comments:

Carole Wooten said...

This sounds like it has a wonderful set up! I haven't read this author before but I love it when characters are well done. I am so glad you enjoyed this one.

Verushka Byrow said...

The mum and daughter relationship intrigues me -- and the fact that they're out to rescue the dad. Great review!